Here's how to stream audio from the TV to a headset:
- Connect (or pair) the headset to your iPhone.
- Make sure your iPhone and TV are both on the same wifi network.
- Install the "Roku" app on your iPhone.
- Launch the Roku app and use it to connect to your Roku TV.
- Click on the "private listening" button (it looks like a headset).
- The TV's audio will now play through your phone. Which will now play through the headset you connected in step one.
It also worked much better than pairing my AirPods directly to my Apple TV. The audio dropped periodically when I tried watching TV that way. Not sure why -- my Apple TV might not be the latest model, or it's possibly just a hair too far away for the AirPods to stay connected reliably.
That's the only issue I've had with the Apple AirPods. They work great otherwise, and they are miles ahead of any other bluetooth headsets or earbuds I've tried. So much easier to pair, charge and use.